PhD student is available in the Center for Molecular Modeling at Ghent University
Last application date: Dec 08, 2017 23:59
Department: TW17 – Department of Applied physics
Contract: Limited duration
Degree: required diploma is Master in Engineering, Physics, Mathematics or equivalent
Occupancy rate: 100%
Vacancy Type: Research staff
A vacancy for a PhD student is available in the Center for Molecular Modeling (CMM, http://molmod.ugent.be) at Ghent University. At the CMM, research at the atomic/molecular scale is performed in various hot-topic areas, ranging from CO2 capture, to catalysis in porous crystals, to material science for nuclear fusion reactors, to pharmaceutical biochemistry.
The PhD student will work towards a doctoral degree under supervision of Prof. An Ghysels through the doctoral schools program of Ghent University. The research encompasses molecular dynamics simulations, method development, and analysis of data. The research topic will focus on free energy methods using constraints on specific degrees of freedom, and on diffusion of molecules through inhomogeneous media. The methods will be applied on biophysical topics, more precisely on the study of membrane permeability for small drug molecules.
The student will be embedded in the CMM, which creates a motivating environment to perform research. A contribution to teaching can also be part of the job content. If the student is interested in an international research experience, visits abroad to collaborating groups during the PhD are encouraged.
Profile of the candidate
(1) The PhD student student have skills in physics/mathematics (for method development).
(2) The student should have an interest in dealing with large data (computational tools for generating and analyzing data of complex molecular systems).
(3) Ideally, the PhD student is also interested in statistical physics, biophysics or material physics, programming, scientific communication, assistance in teaching.
(4) Candidates should have an open attitude towards learning research skills.
(5) Language: fluency in English.
How to apply
Interested candidates can send their CV and motivation letter to email@example.com.